Yoga for Bicyclists Workshop
In this workshop, you will learn simple yoga practices you can
do to improve your cycling. Here’s what's in it for you:
- Improve your in-saddle posture and alignment to avoid cramps and
other aches and pains
- Improve your balance and stability
- Build tricep and shoulder strength to support your upper body without
resting all your weight in your wrists
- Build abdominal strength necessary protect your back and keep your
spine long while riding
- Strengthen your quadriceps and gluteus muscles for those monsterous
hill climbs and getting out of the saddle
- Strengthen hamstrings for the upstroke of your pedaling
- Learn smooth even movements through flowing poses to build muscle
memory moving steadily with your legs
- Develop upper back strength to help you lift up onto a curb
- Learn pre-ride warm-ups you can do with your bike
- Learn post-ride stretch routines to relax your muscles after a long
day of cycling
- Increase your lung capacity with deep breathing exercises
- Learn to breathe calmly and steadily during physical exertion
- Get personal advice and guidance for choosing a yoga style that
suits your needs, creating a home practice, and other questions you
- Learn cleansing techniques to de-grime your nasal passages after
a dusty ride
- Learn how the principles of yoga apply to your life on two wheels
Beginners are welcome: This workshop benefits both
beginners and advanced practitioners. This is an excellent chance to
learn more about yoga if you are a bicyclist and are interested in discovering
what yoga has to offer you.
What to bring: Please wear comfortable non-binding
clothing. Workout clothes are great - no belts please. Please bring a
water bottle and a towel with you. Mats and other props will be provided.
You may want to bring a pen
and paper to take notes.
Kimberlee Jensen Stedl is a certified yoga instructor (200-hour RYT). She is
certified in the YogaFit style, and has yoga experience in a variety of yoga
disciplines. She has practiced yoga for more than eight years. Kimberlee
is the founder of Punk Rock Yoga® (www.punkrockyoga.com).
She teaches a flowing style of yoga called vinyasa based upon the principles
of Hatha yoga (the balance of aggressive and receptive energy). Kimberlee
is a veteran rider, having been a bicycle commuter in Boston, Atlanta, and
Seattle. She has survived the Seattle to Portland ride the year it was so
rainy the organizers decided to push the date out a month. In her younger
days, Kimberlee competed in triathlons and biathlons.
She is the proud owner of a
old Trek mountain bike.
The workshop will include breakdowns of various poses. We will split the workshop
into a few segments:
- General conditioning poses
- Post-ride recovery poses
- Warm-up and quick break poses with your bike
- Alignment while riding
Presented by 8th Element Yoga
We would love to come present this workshop for
your cycling club. Please contact us at DoYoga@8thElementYoga.com to
Workshop policy: If you register for a workshop and
find out that you cannot attend yourself, you are welcome to sell your
spot to someone else. Just let us know by E-mail or phone who will be
your replacement and we will honor your registration for them.
Mailing list: Please join our mailing
list to stay up-to-date on the when and where of this workshop.